Lifestyle has less impact than most think

Alyssa Williams, Reporter

Student lifestyles are easy for most to spot. Whether a person is super involved in school activities, is an athlete, has a job or is simply someone who gets to go home at the end of the school day, being on one’s phone is something everyone is familiar with.

While most would think that one’s lifestyle would determine how much time they spend on their phone, three very different students have proven that their schedules don’t dictate their usage.

Junior Olivia Rickley, is an active athlete and is involved in several school organizations such as tennis, volleyball, yearbook, National Honor Society and Junior Class Officers.

Rickley has tennis practices Monday through Friday 3:30-5:30 p.m. and club volleyball practices from 7-8 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. Additionally, the organizations she’s involved in pull at her time for meetings and events.

With her busy schedule, Rickley averages six hours and 40 minutes of phone use per day.

“I use my phone for communication for yearbook that’s probably the biggest thing,” Rickley said. “Another reason could be since I’m rarely home, I use my phone to watch sports.”

Working 15 hours a week, sophomore Kalyn Hutfless found her screen time to be less than Rickely’s, but still had an average of nearly five and a half hours a day.

“My manager is fine with phones, as long as we aren’t busy,” Hutfless said.

And while most would think that students who weren’t involved in school sports and activities and didn’t have a job would have more free time to spend on their phones, sophomore Cynthia Huey Morales actually spent the least amount of time on her phone.

Huey Morales averaged five hours and 11 minutes per day.