Young, varsity team turns season around, gains momentum

Angel Garcia, Reporter

After a slow start to their season, starting out 1-4 in their first five games, the boys varsity soccer team has picked up momentum and are now sitting at a record of 6-5 after Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Papillion LaVista South.

The team has had wins over Omaha North, Lincoln High, Omaha Benson, Bellevue East, Scotus Catholic and Papillion LaVista South. Their losses came from Papillion La Vista, Omaha Central (twice), Omaha South and Omaha Burke.

Their turn around however, did not come without struggle.

“I feel the boys are doing great in spite of injuries. There are times when we are down five starters,” head coach Steve Moore said.

With three postponed games and multiple players getting injured, the team has learned that they have to persevere and work even harder to accomplish their goals.

“We work hard on the things we can control,” Moore said.

So far this season, the team has made a combined 25 goals and hand 20 assists. They have taken 191 shots with 81 of them being shots on goal.

Leading the team in goals are junior Noor Hassan with 10 goals and freshman Rufay Enow with seven.

“It feels great [to be the leading scorer],” Hassan said. “[I] always work hard for it, never give up.”

And while young players like Hassan and Enow have made an impact, the team which only has seven seniors, is still developing and building chemistry.

“I see a future in this program,” Moore said. “We are young and inexperienced, but [are] playing with top teams.”

The team will be tested once again tomorrow as they play the 12-1 Creighton Prep at home.