Screenings of classic holiday movies come to school’s auditorium

Alondra Soltero Bravo, Section Editor

The drama department has obtained a movie permit to be able to showcase movies at the school without facing copyright issues. The permit was received on Oct. 1. The first film that will be showcased is Hocus Pocusand it will be on Oct. 28. 

To go and watch the movies the cost will be $5, in addition students will get free popcorn. The profits will go to the drama department to help them put on plays and to update the auditorium. 

It’s like the movie theater on Tuesday and Thursday but instead you also get free popcorn so I think people should definitely come see,” junior Nancy Estrada Gomez said. 

“Hocus Pocus” won’t be the only movie that will be shown. They will also show “The Nightmare Before Christmas” in November and “Elf” and the possibility of “The Santa Clause” in December. “Frozen” will be shown in January. They also plan on showing “Shrek” at some point this school year.

Having the permit gives the drama department rights to show movies without having to face serious legal issues.

With my students I stress the fact that we have to get copyright (approval) for things,” drama teacher Jodi Hazuka said.There’s a lot of schools out on the news still around that have done things without copy right and have gotten seriously fined for it.”       

The permit will help the drama department in the long run to have new and better fundraising ideas.

“Not only are we getting more money for our troupes, we’re also hosting more events,” junior Mackenzie Sullivan