Prom candidates announced

Students prepare for “A Night in the Grecian Gardens”

Ranae Duncan

King prom candidates seniors William Grixby, Antione Curtis, Stephen Pura and Efren Gonzalez-Ortega stand along side queen candidates, seniors Kimberly Martinez, Lisbee Ramirez, Ana Gonzalez Gomez, Gabreelah Buggi and Esmeralda Rodriguez-Menijvar for a royal photo. Running mates are: Grixby and Martinez; Curtis, Ramirez and Gonzalez Gomez; Pura and Buggi; and Gonzalez-Ortega and Rodriguez-Menijvar.

Mariam Zahid, Section Editor

Students will be taken back to ancient Greece with a theme of “A Night in the Grecian Gardens” for prom on April 6, thanks to the class of 2020 Junior Class Officers. The dance will be held at The Scoular Ball Room at 2027 Dodge Street from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. 

“It’s the same venue as last year, but this is going to have a very different feel to it,” prom coordinator Ranae Duncan said. “It is going to be very elegant and it fits perfectly with the venue itself.” 

Students will be greeted by a light and airy ballroom blossoming with greens, golds and creams. This will be a stark contrast from the décor from last year’s “Phantom of the Opera” prom 

Juniors and seniors will be able to purchase tickets April 1, April 3, or April 4, during lunch for $25 each or $45 per couple. If students want to bring a guest from another school or  a guest who has graduated, they will need a permission slip completed prior to purchasing their ticket.  Students may obtain the permission forms in the school’s main office. 

The candidates for king are seniors Stephen Pura, Efren Gonzalez-Ortega, William Grixby and Antione Curtis. These candidates were chosen by their fellow peers, nominated and passed the requirements. 

I feel honored to be honest. Gonzalez-Ortega said. “It’s one of those high school moments that everyone wants to be a part of and I am privileged to have this chance that only five from the whole senior class got.” 

The candidates for this year’s queen are seniors Kimberly Martinez, Lisbee Ramirez, Esmeralda Rodriguez-MenijvarGabreelah Buggi and Ana Gonzalez Gomez.  

“I’m super excitedI didn’t really expect it,” Buggi said. “I am going to have fun with it since it is my senior year and getting to enjoy being elected and its really cool and I’m grateful for it, especially as a senior.” 

Only seniors will be allowed to vote for the final royal positions. Voting will run from 7 p.m. to 8:15 and then coronation will be at 8:30 p.m.  

Prom will be ushered in by a spirit week.  April1, will be Hippie Day. On April 2juniors will take the ACT, so freshmen, sophomores and seniors will have the day off. April 3, will be Western/Vaquero Day. April 4, will be character day where students are encouraged to dress as their favorite character from a movie, television show or book. Then, to get students in in the mood for the Grecian themed prom, April 5, will be Toga Day.