Students turn to YouTube to create, express themselves, entertain others

Makeup, vlogging, gaming channels among most popular

Alondra Soltero Bravo, Reporter

The growing number of people watching videos has increased the number of YouTubers who are getting paid. Being a YouTuber can make people lots of money. For instance, social influencer Felix Kjellberg, more commonly known as PewDiePie, makes more than an anesthesiologist, the highest paying job in the United States.

An anesthesiologist makes about $378,654- $429,281 a year according to chron.com, while Kjellberg makes an estimated amount of a $1 million to $16 million per year, according to SocialBlade.com, a website that tracks social media statistics and analytics.

However, there’s various steps before YouTube will actually pay a creator. A creator must first be accepted into the YouTube Partner Program before they can monetize their videos, as well as be at least 18 years of age.

To be eligible for the YouTube Partner Program, creators must obtain over 4,000 hours of viewing hours annually on their channel and maintain more than 1,000 subscribers. Influencers who desire Ad revenue must also follow content restrictions so their video doesn’t get demonetized, causing ads to be taken off. These content rules include restrictions on things like swearing, drug usage and harmful or dangerous acts.

Even though being a creator may sound simple in theory, it takes a lot of effort, with many people falling short.
Despite the odds, many students have taken their shot at creating videos, taking pictures, filming and editing for YouTube.
Sophomore Jordan Wattles created her channel for her own enjoyment.
“I made it so I can share my life with everyone around me and because, you know, it just sounded fun to vlog about my life,” Wattles said.
Students cover all types of topics from vlogging about their everyday life making videos about games, to makeup and skits. Junior Ashley Roth has recently made her own channel about her makeup looks. Roth started out with an Instagram page dedicated to her makeup, and after various people asked her to make a channel, she finally went through with it.

“Ever since I was younger, I always enjoyed making videos and putting them together,” Roth said. “I have fun editing and creating a video that other people can see.”
Encouragement from outside sources like family and friends can also be motivators for people to create channels.

Sophomore Joshua Albert created a channel for his gaming after his friend encouraged him to make one.

“My friend back in middle school talked me [into it] in about seventh grade,” Albert said. “He said, ‘hey, you want to come and join in my YouTube channel?’ I’m just the guy that plays all the video games and he usually posts more unboxing videos and we both did it perfectly well.”

While there is money to be made, most students who have started a YouTube channel expressed that they have no desire to become big, but instead want to have fun and make videos that others will enjoy.

“I just do it for fun, that’s the point,” Albert said.