Downtown Omaha begins revitalization work, students look forward to changes

Above is a rendering of what the new downtown will look like after the Riverfront Revitalization project is complete. The project includes keeping the beloved slides and arch, but will  bring in many new sections that Omahans and visitors alike can enjoy.

OJB Landscape Architecture

Above is a rendering of what the new downtown will look like after the Riverfront Revitalization project is complete. The project includes keeping the beloved slides and arch, but will bring in many new sections that Omahans and visitors alike can enjoy.

Amber Roth, Section Editor

The Gene Leahy Mall is going to get a brand-new look and will enter a new, modern era. This will include replacing the below street level mall with a huge street level green space. Work on the Riverfront Revitalization project began in March and construction is projected to be completed by 2023.

OJB Landscape Architecture led a team of experts to create the layout. Planning and overseeing construction is the Kiewit company.

According to the Director of Communications at Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority (MECA), Kristyna Engdahl, the Gene Leahy Mall will include acres of green space, a performance pavilion, water features, a playground area, a splash park, a food and beverage kiosk and a dog park, while preserving the slides and archway. The project also includes changes being made to the Heartland of America Park and the Lewis and Clark Landing.

“We believe having a modern, amenity-rich park with plenty of green space will be attractive to prospective, young talent who may consider making Omaha their home,” Engdahl said.

Due to the project parking meters have started to be removed on Douglas and Farnam Streets between 10th and 14th Streets, a safety fence has been put up around the entire mall and the sidewalks are now closed.

The change is exciting not just for the city, but also for students at the school.

“I think the new space is going to attract more people,” sophomore Robert Verscheure said.
“I’m looking forward to the dog park, and bringing my dogs over there.”

Another thing that excites some students is the amphitheater that will be built.

“I look forward to the amphitheater because it would be different,” sophomore Hailey Favela said. “It would attract more people to want to go down there and experience it and other parts.”

MECA and the Downtown Riverfront Trust will be managing the development of the Gene Leahy mall. It will cost nearly $300 million to build the new area. Most of the money for this massive development project came from privately funded groups. However, $50 million will come from the city in redevelopment bonds.

One of the downsides is that several homeless people recieved assistance from food trucks, etc., in that area prior to construction. Different organizations have been working with the homeless populaion to address issues the redevelopment plans have created, but a plan has been set in stone.

“The city has been in consistent contact with local shelters to ensure the homeless population’s ease of access to important resources,” Engdahl said.

With all these drastic changes in store, the Gene Leahy Mall will become a place where everyone of all ages can hang out, and is entering a new era of future lifelong memories and fun.