What to expect for tomorrow’s PreACT test

Olouwatobi Noukpozounkou, Reporter

Tomorrow, sophomores will be taking the PreACT. Freshmen, juniors and seniors will have the day off so the class of 2022 can fully focus on the test without distractions.

The test will prepare students for the ACT which they will take at least once their junior year as it is the state mandated standardized test. Many students, especially those who are hoping to go to college will take it multiple times throughout their junior and senior years to try to get their best score possible.  

“When they take the test their sophomore year, we’re seeing pretty substantial growth in their ACT scores which they take their juniors years, curriculum specialist Kathryn McWilliams said. “So, getting this information at the beginning of their sophomore year helps them be successful. By their junior year, and eventually their senior year when they take the ACT again. 

The PreACT isn’t just a dry run for students to prepare for the ACT. The data collected from the results will help teachers as well.

“It really is like a pretest that lets us tailor lessons to specific students based on their needs,” McWilliams said.

The day will be set up much like it is for the real ACT, except it is about half as long. It will be a half day, so when the students get there, they’ll have a short time to eat breakfast, then they will join their English class in their assigned room. Once in the room they will have an hour-long session where attendance will be taken, and information regarding how to take the test will be given.

Students will then be given a 10 minute break, but after that it will be time for the connotative portion of the test which is broken down into four tests; a 30-minute English test, 40-minute math test, a 10 minute break, a 30 minute reading test followed by a 30 minute science test.

After testing students will be served lunch starting at noon. After they are done eating, students may participate in open gym or may watch a movie in the auditorium. They will then be dismissed at 1 p.m.

While some may not be looking forward to a half day of testing, other sophomores are appreciative of the opportunity.

“I feel as though it will be good for us,” sophomore Emma Cramer said“It’ll get us in the feel of how to take the testwhat it’s going to be like, and it will give us an idea of how were going to do and what we need to improve on.” 

As students prepare to take the test in the morning, it is recommended that students get a good night’s sleep, eat a balanced breakfast and get to school on time the day of the test.

“Focus on the outcome,” McWilliams said. “Three hours is worth getting into the college you want and getting scholarships.”