Yes, you can still get in trouble for that

E-learning disciplinary actions in effect

Dallanara Sibrian Miranda, Reporter

Remote learning has been a huge change for students and teachers alike, which has called for a change in the school’s disciplinary system.

“Students can still be suspended from their virtual classrooms, but we try to utilize Remote Reflection Time or Remote SSC (Student Success Center),” assistant principal James Cunningham said. “Administrators also talk with parents, send e-mails to students, or request virtual meetings with parents and students.”

While being remote has cut down regular negative behaviors over all compared to regular years, there have been some instances where discipline has had to happen with remote learning.

“I have had a few students that have un-muted and played music during class,” Hazuka said. “The music kept playing so I removed them from the meeting. I had a conversation with them about what had happened and the consequences for continuing the behavior.”

English teacher Christine Thye has only dealt with a few instances of students doing things that were very minor.

“A few times I have had to remind students to keep their language positive, school appropriate and focused in the chat,” Thye said.

Teachers are able to monitor students’ activity in online classes, so they can see if someone is absent or left the meeting.

“If a student is skipping class, we would get a phone call from the parents or an email from the teacher,” Cunningham said. “They would be marked as truant (Someone who stays away from school with no explanation).”

If a student were skipping too much, they would then be sent to remote reflection time, or remote Student Success Center (SSC).

“All violations of the Student Code of Conduct are subject to disciplinary action,” Cunningham said. “The disciplinary action is outlined based on the violation level.”

Because of remote learning, it is difficult for students to receive their punishment for violating the rules, because they are not there in-person to receive their punishment.

“Sometimes it takes a bit longer to investigate a serious violation of the Student Code of Conduct,” Cunningham said.