Academies to be implemented next fall, after public pushback

Justin Diep, Co-Editor in Chief

Omaha Public Schools (OPS) will roll out its College and Career Academies and Pathways (CCAP) to all its high schools starting next fall. 

Pushback from the public delayed approval of the plan with only the freshman academy being approved last spring. The delay allowed for feedback from the public over the summer with over 50 meetings and thousands of emails sent to parents, staff and students. The district took input from the public and modified the plan which passed the board of education’s vote of 6-3 on Sept. 9. 

The CCAP will require all students, starting with the class of 2025, to enroll in a freshmen seminar class and go into an academy or pathway for the rest of their high school career with the option of changing an academy or pathway once. 

We are excited about expanding access and elevating expectations for all at Bryan High,” principal Rony Ortega said. “Our two newest academies will be our education academy and our design and construction academy. We will also be adding the Cambridge program to our school, which will allow our students to eventually earn the AICE (Advanced International Certificate of Education) diploma.” 

For eight graders, high school selection will remain the same as in previous years. Students will be guaranteed their home attendance school with the option of applying to any of the soon to be nine high schools in the district.  

“No matter where a student lives, they will have the option to apply to any high school in Omaha Public Schools,” OPS Supervisor of External Relations Bridget Blevins said. “The student assignment plan will determine their transportation eligibility and priority in the high school choice process.” 

In the freshmen seminar course, students will explore opportunities in a pathway or academy with discussions about their postsecondary plans with teachers and counselors. Those students who wish to go into an academy or pathway offered at a school other than their own will go through the normal process of transferring schools.  

“This request must be approved by the student placement office,” Blevins said. “Approval of the application request is subject to space availability at the requested school, a student’s academic achievement and enrollment history and student conduct. 

A major change to the current CCAP plan from the original was adding the option for students to customize their own pathway which addressed concerns some had for students who were unable to switch schools and be required to go into an academy or pathway that does not suit them. 

For a student interested in a high-wage, high-skill and in-demand career not covered by a current pathway, the student and the family may work with school counselors and administrators to organize a series of existing courses into a pathway aligned with their goals after graduation.” Blevins said. 

Along with expanding the urban agriculture and the transportation, distribution and logistics academies (TDL), the two new academies will be rolled out in the next few years.  

“We want to do things right at Bryan High and don’t plan to rush into implementing both academies or Cambridge next year, but we will look at implementing one of the two academies and then the remaining one the following year,” principal Rony Ortega said. 

Electives that are not a part of an academy will still be offered and encouraged for students to take for students to fit the districts ‘portrait of a graduate.’ 

Rest assured, our elective course offerings will remain in place,” Ortega said. “We want to create well rounded students who take a plethora of courses including in world languages, drama, journalism, music, business, art, etc.” 

The implementation of CCAP will go alongside the opening of the districts’ two new high schools which are Buena Vista and Westview High schools.