ACT not good representation of all skills, success in college

Scores won’t make or break you

Adriana Valadez Cue, Reporter

As the ACT fast approaches, students prepare to take the test that could determine which college they go to, however, some colleges are changing their ways.
Many public colleges have started not requiring ACT/SAT scores for entry, colleges like New York University (NYU) and Berkley, according to cbsnews.com. Because of this change, it grants students more chances to at least apply to more colleges than before, based on more than just a single test that may not be indicative of their skills.
The scores that many students get on the ACT or SAT do not determine their success, as it only focuses on school-based curriculum, and not other open fields where a student might have better knowledge in a subject that isn’t taught at school. Students should still aim for good test scores, because for some, that’s the only way they can get scholarships, but they shouldn’t stress themselves over it.
Following the trend of taking out the need to have ACT and SAT scores, the University of Iowa will no longer require ACT scores for entry of public colleges, although that does not apply to private colleges. Many other colleges may soon be joining, especially since due to COVID, many students weren’t able to take the test.
The University of Nebraska Board of Regents has been taking steps in that direction, but as of now, ACT scores are still required for many scholarships and any other financial aid at the university.
Another reason why the ACT is not the best measurement of a student’s success, is because it is only offered in English. If you tried to take a test in another language that you aren’t fluent in, of course you’d get a bad score.
At a place like this school, where 70% of the population has their native language as something other than English, it can seem like the students aren’t smart, with the average Omaha Public Schools (OPS) ACT score being 22, but that is not true. The students here are just as smart as ones in any other school district, despite what a test score might say.