Dickens to perform great-great granddad’s iconic play

Keyana Burries, Section Editor

The great, great grandson of Charles Dickens, Gerald Dickens, is scheduled to perform a one-man adaptation of “A Christmas Carol” in the school’s auditorium on Nov. 8. Several classes have been invited to attend the show.

The Douglas County Historical Society is the group that made this opportunity possible via a grant through the Mammel Family Foundation.

“We wanted to do this for students because Gerald Dickens is a wonderful performer and we wanted to provide this chance to students who wouldn’t know about his work without us creating this chance,” Roxanne Knutson, community engagement coordinator at Douglas County Historical Society said.

Dickens’ version of “A Christmas Carol” is unique as it contains no costume changes, no special makeup and no special effects, all while playing 26 different characters.

“I’m curious to see what it looks like as a one man show,” Curriculum Specialist Natalie Peterson said. “He brings his own set materials and props, he doesn’t have a bunch of props either, and it’s not some professional doing lighting and sound.”

There will also be a chance to ask questions after the show.

“I’m interested to hear what he has to say during the Q&A about being Charles Dickens’ great-great grandson and thoughts on his work,” Peterson said.

Dickens had “A Christmas Carol” read to him since he was six. In 1993 he re-created a reading of it. Normally Dickens avoided his ancestor’s work but he did it to raise money for charity. It wasn’t long before he fell in love with the characters. Dickens is also a director and producer. He made one-man shows such as “Mr Dickens is Coming.”

Dickens puts on workshops all over the world. He has been featured on television and broadcast on the radio.