Fall play to relate to real life

Play, actors aim to get message across about social media

Keyana Burries

Sophomore Lily Huse gasps dramatically as the rest of the “Me, My Selfie, and I” cast lies around her, pretending to be mermaids during a warm up activity prior to rehearsal.

Keyana Burries, Section Editor

“Me, My Selfie, and I,” a two-act comedy about how society often documents their lives via social media instead of just living them, will be performed in the auditorium on Oct. 19 and Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. and on Oct. 21 at 2 p.m.

“I chose this play because I felt it was very relevant to our society nowadays; it deals a lot with social media and how we interact with that and how it has changed our communication with others,” drama teacher and Drama Club advisor Hazuka said. “ I feel the show is about how we tend to document our memories instead of creating them.”

Keyana Burries
After missing one of his lines at rehearsal, junior Shemar Toussaint eats a punishment jelly bean. If a cast member forgot or messed up their lines they had to select Bean Boozled jelly bean from the box and eat it. Half of them were scrumptious treats, but the other half were disgusting flavors. Toussaint, unfortunately drew a dog food bean.

The poignant story will be depicted by 30 actors. The main character, Aaron, will be played by senior Efren Gonzalez-Ortega.

“I raced to the auditorium doors just to see Aaron- Efren Gonzalez-Ortega. My mind just went short circuiting, like it was just a big ka-boom. I was shocked to say the least. This is my first lead role in a full production.” Gonzalez-Ortega said.

Ensemble members are excited about the play for many reasons.

“I’m looking forward to getting the message of the story out, junior Shemar Toussaint said. “You know, how social media is taking over our young minds in this world.”

Some members are looking forward to some of the changes already.

“There’s going to be cool effects we haven’t done much of before and overall it’s just a funny play,” sophomore Mackenzie Sullivan said. “I’m excited to work with the cast and make this a good production.”

The cast is thrilled to have a show with a message they feel is important and relevant.

“Some of the scenarios in the production trace back to real life,” junior Mariah Grove said. “We spend hours trying to capture the perfect selfie, worry about if that tweet we sent was funny enough and let what others say on the internet affect how our day goes. I hope the cast and audience members learn something from it.”

Tickets will be sold at the door and will be $7 for adults and $5 for students, children and teachers.