Students get reality check

Flint wins Microsoft grant for mixed reality equipment

Adri Martinez, Editor in Chief

Ranae Duncan
While in the library, senior Ana Gonzalez-Gomez tries out the new mixed reality equipment provided by Microsoft’s Limitless Libraries Grant.

The school received two gaming laptops as well as virtual reality (VR) headsets and controllers on Nov. 16 as part of the mixed reality equipment provided by Microsoft’s Limitless Libraries Grant.

Besides the headsets and the equipment necessary to run it, the grant also provides ongoing assistance with Microsoft for technical issues, marketing resources and program scheduling. Email support and access to other grant recipients is also provided.

Twenty different libraries were chosen across the nation. Among those also selected were the Chicago Public Libary and The New York Public Library. Librarian Gavin Flint describes these as the “crown jewels” of the library world.
“It’s like ‘oh wow, we were one of these 20 places that got it,” Flint said. “I think it just says that we are willing to try new stuff and it shows.”

The goal of the program is to help provide under served communities and schools with technology students may not have access to normally.

“Libraries have long been a place where students immerse themselves in the learning experience and ignite their creativity, envisioning their favorite stories come to life,” Microsoft program manager Clarice Chan said. “With the expansion of digital technology like mixed reality headsets, we see a new world of possibility to transform learning efficiency, retention, and student engagement​.”

Chan and Flint both believe that one of the biggest benefits of the grant is giving students the chance to experience technology that they may have never gotten a chance to see before.

“Bryan was chosen from a pool of hundreds of applicants across the country and selected based on the potential of its programs to provide exposure and increased knowledge in STEM and due to the high percentage of under served students who could benefit from the technology,” Chan said.

The equipment was set up on Nov. 16, and a few selected students were able to test the headsets out as well as be interviewed by Microsoft.

One of the students chosen was senior Gage Lukowski. During the testing on Nov. 16, he was able to select a city to learn more about it and explore via the headset. Lukowski chose Rome.

“Hearing my friend’s voices as disembodied due to me not being able to see them was definitely weird,” Lukowski said.

As part of the experience, Lukowski was able to virtually explore the Colosseum in both modern day and in the past.

“Being that we are getting more and more technology that can be used in conjunction with the VR, it opens a bunch of opportunities,” Lukowski said.

The library is free to use the equipment however they please as well as incorporate it into a class’s curriculum. Several classes have already expressed interest in the incorporating it in their lessons.

Some plans include finding ways for the math analysis class to involve the new equipment to their curriculum.
Although math analysis teacher Charles Cuddy isn’t sure if the new equipment is compatible with the Minecraft they’ve used in the past, or how exactly the new technology might be implemented, he was still excited when he heard about the opportunity.

“I don’t see there being any negatives to the VR,” Cuddy said. “It is a supplement to the class… if it works how we hope then it’ll be an awesome addition, and if it doesn’t that is okay too because we weren’t really planning on this surprise anyway.”

Other envisions for the use of the new technology include the idea of virtual field trips. However, since there are only two headsets, there may not be class field trips to exotic locations any time soon. The computers given by the grant do provide educational field trips for students interested in learning and exploring. Places available to go to include Peru, which allows users to see Machu Picchu from a hot air balloon.

As new and exciting as it is, the Limitless Libraries grant will be put to good use giving students the chance to experience learning like never before.