Dear students: part two

The Orator staff

The article “Dear students, it’s not Bryan, it’s You,” last issue received a lot of attention from both teachers and students. Most of the attention that came from the students was negative, but that’s only because the negative things said in that article were directed towards them. Instead of taking the time trying to defend their poor actions, they should learn how to fix them instead.

We love Bryan and we don’t view the entire school as a group of losers, but that’s how the rest of the district and the citizens in the area view us.

Don’t like it? Change it.

Just like with any school, there are the unmotivated students who show up only because they have to and then there are the  dedicated students.

It’s this first group that overshadows the good.

Look at what we’ve done this year! We have students studying at University of Nebraska Medical Center, one of our STEM classes was a state finalists, our library won a Microsoft grant and so much more.

Did you know that the journalism department and/or its students receive national and state recognition? Did you know about the politically active students who register to vote, who march to Washington?

What about the great programs and clubs at the school? Do you know about the students speaking out on the importance of math? What about the fact that three students won the Lead Like a Girl Award? Or the group of students who met with a Harvard representative, hoping to one day attend?

Of course you didn’t.

These awesome students are overshadowed by all the negativity from the bad students. There are some amazing students and programs but if all anyone ever focuses on are the bad students, then we’ll never give these scholars a time to shine.

Both students and teachers are responsible. Next time a student interrupts class, call them out on it. Tell the truth. You’re trying to learn and they’re a distraction. If you don’t tell them, no one will.

The students dug a pit of negativity and decided to jump in to escape the truth. No one is foolish enough to jump in to help them.