Bears cheer their way through season

Mariam Zahid, Section Editor

Mackenzie Sullivan
Yelling and screaming, several members of the swim team cheers on their teammates as they compete against Omaha Central at their Jan. 15, home meet. “Cheering our team mates helps cause it shows that you are about them and it gives them motivation to keep going,” sophomore swimmer Ellie McIntosh-McAdams said.

The season has come to an end, but not without improvement. Swimmers this year were pushed in their morning practices and have consistently tried harder and supported each other.

Head Swim Coach Angela Kisicki describes the team as a great group of kids.

“Most of our swimmers are pretty good at cheering each other on and many of the new swimmers this year are good at yelling and supporting others,” Kisicki said.

Kisicki also mentioned how all the swimmers are always supporting each other, cheering each other on at meets, and helping their fellow team mates be more successful. Other swimmers have also mentioned how the bond between the team has grown.

“We can work together pretty well, sometimes. We do argue, but we then focus on the sport,” sophomore Donovan ThompsonGrimm said.

Thompson-Grimm found himself in first place several times. He earned first place for the 50, 100 and 200 meter free style races as well as the 100 breast stroke.

“When I win, it is a good feeling, it is rewarding and it makes you want to get better,” Thompson-Grimm said.

Kisicki attributed much of the team’s improvement to how there are more swimmers participating in dryland and morning practices. This all resulted in the team working harder and having a good season.

“The beginning of the season was a rough start for me personally,” Thompson-Grimm said. “Other people were dropping time and I wasn’t, but then it got better.”

One of the easier opponents for the team to beat was Omaha Benson. Benson had a very similar
sized swim teams and swimmers from both teams were equal in speed and dedication.

Sophomore Emiliano Gonzalez also had a great season with wins against Omaha North and a multi- team invite meet. He placed for the 50 and 100 free style.

Kisicki acknowledged that Gonzalez and Thompson-Grimm have improved since last year.

“This season I wanted to improve my times for everything,” Gonzalez said. “I went from 1:24 to about 1:14 in the 100 backstroke. This season I just wanted to improve and it’s happening and our team is getting better, which makes me happy.”

toughest opponent was Millard South- especially on the individual base. Millard South beat the team 14-78. Still, the team maintained their dignity and pushed themselves and encouraged each other.

“It doesn’t matter if it is a big school, it really just matters who can beat you in that school,” Gonzalez said. “But I usually try to hype myself before and just prepare for the race.”

The team plans to improve next year by continuing to raise the expectations of one another and to build on the progress made this year.