Senior creates Karen-English alphabet book, to be distributed to OPS elementary schools

Adri Martinez, Editor in Chief

With a goal of teaching young children Karen, senior Saw Htoo has created a children’s alphabet book filled with colorful imagery and Karen and English translations. The book started as an assignment from Educators Rising coordinator Jana Georgius, but it soon developed into a project of passion.

“This assignment was for Saw to compete- he is an amazing artist,” Georgius said. “Maybe a week or so Saw worked on his book in class. For months he carried it around with him and worked on it at every moment that he could.”
The book was Htoo’s idea for the Educators Rising State Leadership Conference in which he received a second-place award in the Children’s Literature (PreK) division.

Htoo, who’s fluent in both Karen and English, made the 25-page book by hand using materials such as needles, thread and watercolor paper.

Jana Georgius
On Apr. 2, seniors Cristina Vargas (left) and Saw Htoo (right) read the 25-page Karen-English alphabet book, which Htoo created, to students at Yates Community Center- an organization dedicated to teaching refugee and immigrant students.

“There’s no Karen alphabet book that has cool pictures in it,” Htoo said. “Everything around me [inspired me while making it].”

Currently, Migrant Education Program Recruiter Glenn Simosen is planning on creating copies and distributing the book to all elementary schools in Omaha Public Schools. The team is just waiting for updated equipment to arrive.

“It’s a learning opportunity for me and anybody else who wants to learn Karen,” Htoo said. “Kids- people- could use it as a learning tool and a lot of people need it.”

Not only will Htoo’s book be in elementary schools, but Georgius is also seeking assistance to publish, sell and distribute Htoo’s book.

Because of his love for his little sisters and kids, Htoo wants to become an art teacher in the future while also helping people learn Karen.